Friday, March 23, 2012

Pecan-cranberry quinoa

This is the first dinner recipe I've tried from green smoothie girl.  I shy away from quinoa a lot.  Many times it isn't particularly my favorite, and I have multiple children who don't care for it. I almost forgot that when we sat down to dinner and Tavio said he LOVED this - Why don't w have quinoa more often.  Of course, then the little boys opened their mouths, and it was all yuck, this is disgusting. etc. etc.  before even trying the food.  Benjamin eventually ate it - only because he was racing Aaron.  Aaron took an obligatory bite, but was NOT happy about it, and it took some time to get that in him.  Duncan ate his (mostly) without complaint, but was super slow to eat, and I heard him muttering about the horrors of eating healthy and that he wasn't gaining weight..... (a normal occurance at our house.)  I actually really liked it.  Had just enough crunch with the almonds, just enough sweet with the craisins.   I didn't even mind the cilantro (of course I probably didn't put the full 1/3 cup it called for in - more like 2 Tablespoons once chopped if I really would have measured.)   I really liked the dressing that went with it, and am thinking of making it again to go on a salad.  Very fresh and citrusy with no vinegar to bite my lips.  I'll eat the left overs for lunch today.  (always a good indication of how much I liked a meal.  :)

Ingredients

  • 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well (soak for a few minutes, then drain in a fine strainer
  • 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/2 cup pecans, chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries
  • 2 green onions chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons chopped cilantro
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Dressing ingredients

  • 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice (1 lemon)
  • 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (1 medium/small orange)
  • 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 Tablespoons agave
  • 1 teaspoon basil (I reduced this from the original - feel free to add more if you want to.)
Directions
  1. Toast the almonds in a saute pan.  Set aside.  In the same pan, briefly saute the garlic in the oil.  Add the quinoa and stir until toasted.  Add the water, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.  
  2. Blend all dressing ingredients in a blender or food processor.  Mix all ingredients together and serve.  This dish is good both hot and cold. I ate it hot for dinner, but cold for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails