Monday, April 18, 2011

Chicken mole

This is another recipe from Family feasts for $75 a week. I was totally afraid to use as much chili powder as this called for (3 Tablespoons)  I only used 1/2 Tablespoon.  I would put more next time.  I also found it a bit silly that the recipe called for stewed tomatoes which she said she then purees.  I just used crushed.  I also started with pre-cooked chicken - and not quite as much as called for.  The result was a super quick meal.  I liked it, just wished I would have put more chili powder, and in fact when I ate it for left overs I added some chili powder.    One thing I like about this book is that the recipes make a lot of food.  We always have left overs.  That is nice because I haven't had to think about lunch for a couple of weeks, and have even had a left over day for dinner, and frozen some of the left overs for another meal later.  Can't beat that!  I acutally served this over white rice because I didn't want to wait for brown to cook.  The white cooked in the same amount of time it took to prepare the meal.  

Ingredients
  • 1 container pre-cooked chicken (2-3 cups chopped cooked - or use raw and chop and cook at the beginning)
  • 1-2 Tablespoons oil (I use a healthy blend)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon chili powder (use more next time)
  • 1/2 Tablespoon paprika (I would omit this next time if using more chili powder)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 2 oz. unsweetened chocolate
  • 3 15 oz. cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped (I was lazy and used 1/2 cup dehydrated red and green)
  • white or brown rice 
Directions
  1. (cook rice in a rice cooker.  Cook chicken and set aside if not using pre-cooked - or thaw and set aside)
  2. Place chili powder, cumin and cinnamon in a large pot (4 quart)  Add enough oil to get the spice mix wet with oil.  Heat spices until they're blackened and smoking, 4-6 minutes (I can't say that I did this - mine weren't black just toasted, and they weren't smoking, but they did steam a bit.)
  3. Reduce heat to low and add chocolate (I chopped it into smaller pieces)  Stir until chocolate is melted and combined.  
  4. Add tomatoes and garlic.  Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.  (This bubbled very large bubbles that splashed all over the kitchen so I covered it with a splatter guard - be warned and cover it before it splashes your cookbook.  :)
  5. Stir in chicken and green peppers.  Simmer 5 more minutes.  Serve over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails