Friday, November 19, 2010

Scandinavian beans

This was the recipe I picked from fix it or forget it. I forgot to soak my beans last night, so I didn't exactly follow the directions.  Plus I didn't really want my beans all the way soft going into the slow cooker anyway.  I'll add my notes to the original recipe.  They turned out perfect.  The beans were pretty good.  Much like a baked bean, but a bit tangier from the vinegar.

Ingredients

  • 1 lb dried pinto beans, rinsed and sorted
  • 6 cups water 
  • 12 oz. bacon or 1 ham hock (I bought diced ham and forgot to add it.  Oops.)
  • 1 onion, chopped (cheated and used dehydrated)
  • 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup molasses
  • 1 cup ketchup
  • Tabasco to taste 
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Directions
  1. Soak beans in water in soup pot for 8 hours.  Bring beans to boil and cook 1 1/2 -2 hour, or until soft. Drain, reserving liquid.
  2. Combine all ingredients in slow cooker, using just enough bean liquid to cover everything.  Cook on low 5-6 hours.  If using ham hock, debone, cut ham into bite-sized pieces and mix into beans.
What I did
  1. Place dry beans in soup pot - cover with an inch or so of water - boil for about 1 1/2 hour - adding more water after about 45 min-1 hour when they were looking dry.  
  2. When beans were almost done I stirred the rest of the ingredients in the slow cooker and just added an amount of water that looked good.  Then I rinsed and drained the beans and tossed them into the slow cooker.  I cooked on low for 3-4 hours then high for 2 hours or so, then back down to low while I tossed some rice in the rice cooker because they were soft enough already.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails