Sunday, January 31, 2010

Mexicali pork chops

This is another one from the plaid betty crocker cookbook. I have notes all over it, so I guess I have to write it out again. Mostly I was just doubling and making up for the fact that cans seem to be different sizes nos. The original recipe is on p. 252. I think I need to get back to writing these down on the day we eat them, not later. It makes it harder for me to remember if they were any good. It seems like this one was just OK. Aha, I just looked at the picture and remembered this a bit more. The rice took a long time to cook. I usually have that problem when I cook rice with tomatoes. I cooked it longer, but really didn't have time to cook it too much longer. I also thought the flavor wasn't much better than just cooking it with some salsa, and I even added chili powder, garlic salt and taco sauce. I would have liked more cumin or taco seasoning or something. I also cooked it differently. They cut the fat off the pork, cooked it, and saved the drippings too cook in. #1, I don't cook with that much fat. #2 - I don't think I even had that much fat on my pork chops.




Ingredients
  • 6-8 pork loin chops cut 3/4 inch thick
  • 1 chopped green pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1/2 onion)
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 1 15.5 oz can corn, drained
  • 1 15.5 oz can kidney beans, drained
  • 1 cup long grain rice
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 7 oz can green chilies
  • chili powder (I think I used a teaspoon)
  • garlic salt (1 tsp ?)
  • taco sauce a couple of tablespoons - should have used more.
Directions (oven at 350)

Trim excess fat from chops; Spray pan with cooking spray (or heat 1 tsp - 1 Tablespoon oil in pan and fry pork chops. Season with salt and pepper. Set chops aside. Add 1 Tablespoon of butter to the pan (unless you have some nice pork drippings - I didn't.) Sautee green pepper and onions in butter till tender. Stir in tomatoes, corn, kidney beans, uncooked rice, water, chili peppers, seasonings. Bring to boiling. Turn into a 9 x 13 pan. Arrange pork chops on top. cover and bake in a 350 oven for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 minutes more or till meat is tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails