Sunday, November 15, 2009

Wheat bread


I found this most awesome wheat bread recipe the other day on everydayfoodstorage.net. She even has a video of it. Check it out here. She also has a recipe for white bread but I haven't tried that one yet. The wheat was the best I have made. You can check out her option on the link above. I am now editing my recipe. I started making this with agave and an extra Tablespoon of powdered milk and I love it. This picture is of the second loaf 2 days after it was made and it still looked good. I also took a picture of my pan, but I'm now changing that to an amazon link - their picture is prettier. I love this pan because it has straight sides and nice corners. It makes a pretty loaf of bread that slices nicely all the way to the end.

Update 8/16/2011 - Still love the chicago metallic, but I now bought 4 of the regular size (1 lb) loaf pans.  That is what I use all of the time.  I've also lowered the amount of gluten I use in this loaf a lot of the time.  Works equally as well.  (Although now that I found a source for cheaper gluten I may up it to the full cup again.)






Ingredients

  • 1 1/4 cup warm water
  • 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup agave
  • 2 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup vital wheat gluten
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3 Tablespoon nonfat non instant dry milk
  • 1 Tablespoon butter
  • 1 Tablespoon vinegar
  • 1/4 cup potato flakes
Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment (like kitchen-aid) for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1- 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolls. Let rise again until double and bake 375 degrees for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
Here is a picture of the bread as "peanut butter with honey and bananas." Benjamin's favorite lunch.

Been making 4 loaves at once lately - here are the measures so I no longer have to think about it every time.

  • 5 cups warm water
  • 1/4 cup yeast
  • 1 cup agave
  • 11 cups wheat flour  (or 11.5 cups flour -if using 1/2 cup gluten not 1)
  • 1 cup gluten (or 1/2 cup gluten)
  • 4 teaspoons salt
  • 3/4 cup powdered milk
  • 4 Tablespoons butter
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 1 cup potato flakes

3 comments:

  1. I used 1/4 cup agave instead of brown sugar today. I also added an extra tablespoon of dry milk. It was still great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. more notes
    redid the recipe today - may get itself a new post if it works
    My goal was to enlarge it a bit to better fit my favorite pan (it is a 1.5 lb size), but I also wanted to make the recipe easier to remember, so everything is in 1/4 cups or teaspoon/Tablespoon.
    I also made sure to mix it well and am taking out 1 rise. (supposedly you can do that with a Bosch.) Probably shouldn't try so many new things at once, but oh well.

    1.5 cups water
    1/4 cup agave
    1 Tablespoon instant yeast
    3.25 cup wheat flour
    .25 cups vital wheat gluten
    .25 powdered milk
    .25 potato flakes
    1 Tablespoon butter
    1 Tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon salt

    ReplyDelete
  3. I finally made this today!! It smells and looks divine! Yay! I finally made some good looking bread! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails