Thursday, November 26, 2009

Vegetables in Peanut Sauce with noodles

This one worried me to try. I was afraid it wasn't going to turn out well. It was vegetarian which I wasn't sure how would go over at my house, and I had even sprouted my own mung beans to make the bean sprouts. However, all said and done, it turned out pretty well. I was pleasantly surprised and it was eaten by everyone with no complaint.

Ingredients
  • 1 1/4 cup water
  • 1 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch
  • 1 Tablespoon grated gingerroot
  • 8 medium green onions, sliced
  • 1 bag frozen broccoli and cauliflowers
  • 1 cup matchstick carrots
  • 2 stalks celery, cliced
  • 8 oz. bean sprouts
  • 1 8 oz. can sliced water chestnuts, drained
  • 5 cups chow mein noodles
  • dry roasted peanuts, if desired
Directions
1. Mix water, peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, cornstarch, ginger and onions in medium bowl; set aside.
2. Spray large wok with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Cook broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and celery in w0k for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Sir in bean sprouts and water chestnuts. Cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium; stir in peanut butter mixture. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened.
3. Serve vegetable mixture over chow mein noodles. Sprinkle with peanuts.

I thought this needed a bit more salt. If making it again, I would probably add more soy sauce to the mix, and a little garlic. When I ate it this time, I sprinkled it with garlic salt and the peanuts. Then it tasted pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails