Monday, November 9, 2009

Bread topped hamburger casserole

This is an old family recipe. DH doesn't like sheppard's pie, so this is what we have instead. I love the bread topping. I think it is the thyme and oregano in it. Crazy thing about making it today is that I had a lot of really old canned items in my pantry. Apparently I don't use vegetable beef soup that much. I found cans from 2004, 2006, and 2007. Luckily there were some with a date of 2010. I also had tomato sauce from 2005. I know that one was there because it was a garlic tomato sauce and I usually just use plain. So much for me thinking I was good at rotating my food.

Hamburger mixture ingredients
  • 1 lb hamburger
  • dried onions
  • 1/4 c diced bell pepper
  • 2 stalks celery, diced
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup
  • 1 can vegetable beef soup
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt (I used this but will omit next time.)
  • 1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
Bread topping ingredients
  • 1 pkg. Yeast or 1 Tablespoon
  • 1 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 Tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup scalded milk
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/2 tsp thyme
  • 1/2 tsp oregano
Directions

Scald milk by putting in microwave with butter until the butter is melted. Set aside to cool to lukewarm.

Fry hamburger with onions (or use precooked), bell peppers and celery. Drain. Add the rest of the hamburger mixture ingredients. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer while preparing the bread.

Place bread ingredients in a bowl in the order listed. Beat 3 minutes.

Pour hamburger mixture in 9 X 13 pan
Pour bread mixture over meat. -This is a really thin bread mixture. I try to get a nice thick ribbon and pour it slowly over the meat mix because once it is on there it is hard to spread around. (This was about the best I think I've ever spread it. Great for taking a picture.)

Let rise 20-30 minutes

Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.


I didn't have Parmesan cheese today, but this is what it looked like out of the oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails